Teaching Health Center Graduate Medical Education (THCGME) Program
HRSA-20-011 | Bureau of Health Workforce
Application Accepted: 06/13/2019 to 08/30/2019
Projected Award Date: 07/01/2020
Estimated Award Amount: N/A
Estimated Number of Awards:N/A
The purpose of the THCGME Program is to support the training of residents in new or expanded primary care residency training programs in community-based ambulatory patient care centers. Programs will prepare residents to provide high quality care, particularly in rural and underserved communities, and develop competencies to serve these diverse populations and communities. Two award types are available: 1. Continuation awards will be made for the maintenance of Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) filled resident positions at existing HRSA THCGME Programs. 2. New awards will be made to support new resident full-time equivalent (FTE) positions at new Teaching Health Centers (THCs), as funding permits. New THCs are those applicants that have never received payment under the HRSA THCGME Program for the applicable residency program in any previous fiscal year (FY).
An eligible entity is a community-based ambulatory patient care center that:
i. Operates an accredited primary care residency program. Specific examples of eligible outpatient settings include, but are not limited to:
• Federally qualified health centers, as defined in section 1905(l)(2)(B) of the Social Security Act [42 U.S.C. 1396d(l)(2)(B)];
• Community mental health centers, as defined in section 1861(ff)(3)(B) of the Social Security Act [42 U.S.C. 1395x(ff)(3)(B)];
• Rural health clinics, as defined in section 1861(aa)(2) of the Social Security Act [42 U.S.C. 1395x(aa)(2)];
• Health centers operated by the Indian Health service, an Indian tribe or tribal organization, or an urban Indian organization (as defined in of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act [25 U.S.C. 1603]); and
• An entity receiving funds under Title X of the PHS Act.
The list of entities above is not exhaustive, but does reflect the intent of the program to provide training in settings such as those served by the institutions listed.