How to Comply with Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program Requirements

Coronavirus - COVID-19 Info

Impacted by the COVID-19 crisis? We can help.

You must follow the service requirements outlined in the Application and Program Guidance (PDF – 468 KB).

Contract | Service Options | Requirements | Contract Terms | Service Verification

Transfer | Continuation Contract

When does my contract take effect?

First, you sign your contract. Then, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS)—or their designee—countersigns it.

After that, your service obligation begins.

What are my service options?

The Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program (Nurse Corps LRP) offers two types of service options. You may only choose one:

Service Option #1

Serve as a registered nurse (RN) or advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) at a Critical Shortage Facility (CSF).

Service Option #2

Serve as nurse faculty (NF) at an eligible school of nursing.

Note: You may not switch service options at any time during your two-year contract. You may, however, be eligible to transfer to another CSF or school of nursing. To do so, you must have prior approval.

What are my service requirements?

Upon signing your contract, you must follow these requirements for the entire two-year service period:

  • Maintain a current, permanent, unrestricted license to practice as an RN or APRN in the state that employs you.
  • Work under your employer’s verified scope of practice as an RN, APRN, or NF member.
  • Understand that you will only receive service credit when your Nurse Corps LRP contract is in effect.
  • Begin full-time service on the effective date of your contract at the CSF or eligible school of nursing listed in your application.
  • Continue with the same type of service option (CSF or eligible school of nursing) during your two-year service period.

What are the terms of my service obligation?

You must serve full-time for two years at either an eligible CSF or an eligible school of nursing.

If you work at an eligible CSF:

  • You must work at least 128 hours/month.
  • You must work a minimum of 45 weeks per service year.

If you work at an eligible school of nursing: 

  • You must work a minimum of nine months per service year.
  • You must be employed “full-time” as defined by the employer.

Note: You may not serve part-time.

How do you verify my service?

Every six months, you and your point-of-contact (POC) must complete and sign the In-Service Verification (ISV).

This certifies that you are complying with the service requirements.

Do we permit absences?

Yes, but no more than seven weeks (35 workdays) in a service year.

If you are absent for seven weeks (35 workdays) or more, we will extend your contract end date.

Can I transfer to another site?

You must receive prior approval if you can no longer continue working at the initial CSF or eligible school of nursing.

Contact us immediately via the BHW Customer Service Portal. Go to the “Activities” section, then to “Change My Site Request.”

Include the reason for the transfer and an initiation of an employee verification form (EVF) to the prospective site. This will determine whether it is an eligible CSF or eligible school of nursing.

Why would you not approve my request?

We will not approve your transfer request if the prospective site is:

  • Not a CSF or school of nursing in the same or higher funding tier as that of your award.
  • A private for-profit entity.

Can I extend my service period for additional loan repayment?

Depending on the availability of funds, we may offer you the option of a third year of service (continuation contract).

We will award you an additional 25% of your original total verified qualifying educational loan balance—as of the effective date of your initial two-year contract.

Date Last Reviewed:  August 2019