1. Home
  2. Health Workforce Programs
  3. Primary Care Loans (PCL)

Primary Care Loans (PCL)

Students must pursue a doctoral degree full-time in either

  • Allopathic medicine; or
  • Osteopathic medicine.

Is my school eligible for the PCL?

Your school is eligible if it offers a degree in allopathic or osteopathic medicine. 

How do I apply for the PCL?

  1. Read the SF424 instructions (PDF - 290 KB) and fill out the SF424 form (PDF - 144 KB)
    • If you receive an error stating the document requires Adobe Reader 8 or higher, open the document in Adobe and select "Enable All Features" to view the document.
  2. Complete the Application to Participate in the Primary Care Loans (PCL) Program (PDF - 45 KB) 
  3. Submit the SF424 and program application to the program officer.

Who do I contact about the PCL program?

Email PCL Program Officer Jim Essel.

Can we help students pay off other loans?

You may increase loans to 3rd and 4th year students. They can use this to repay outstanding balances on other loans they’ve taken out while attending your school.

What do you require of students who receive a primary care loan?

Students must

  • Enter and complete residency training in primary care within four years after they graduate.
  • Practice primary care for ten years or until they pay off the loan in full, whichever occurs first.

Read PCL: Frequently Asked Questions.

Date Last Reviewed