Eligible substance use disorder (SUD) treatment facilities can become Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery Loan Repayment Program (STAR LRP)-approved.
How can my facility become STAR LRP-approved?
Your facility is eligible to become STAR LRP-approved if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Your facility is located in a county with a three-year drug overdose mortality rate greater than the national average.*
- Your facility has a mental health HPSA designation.
*We calculate this information based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data.
What are the benefits of becoming STAR LRP-approved?
As a STAR LRP-approved facility, you can:
- Recruit new clinicians and retain current staff with the STAR LRP loan repayment opportunity.
How do I activate my facility as STAR LRP-approved?
The Site Point of Contact (POC) must complete the following steps to obtain STAR LRP-approval for your facility:
- Create an account or log into the BHW Program Portal.
- Create a Site Profile for your facility.
- See pages 21-25 of the BHW Program Portal Site POC User Guide for instructions.
- You can use the STAR LRP-approved facility list (PDF - 172 KB) to help select your site type.
- On your Site Profile "Dashboard," you will have the option to select "Activate Status" under the STAR LRP program (Note: this will only be an option during the STAR LRP application cycle).
- Select "Activate Status" link.
- An "Eligibility Criteria" box will appear. If your site is "Eligible for Participation," you will be prompted to "Activate Program Status" and a "Site Type" drop down list will appear.
- Select your "Site Type" from the dropdown list.
- Select your "Site subtype" from the second dropdown list, if applicable.
- Select the "Activate Site" button.
Your site should now appear as “STAR active.”
Are there auto-approved facility types?
We will activate your site as a STAR LRP-approved facility if you are a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) site that:
- Is in a county with a three-year overdose mortality rate greater than the national average (as calculated by HRSA).
- Has a mental health HPSA (MHPSA) designation.
NHSC Site POCs will receive an email alert that they are STAR LRP-approved facilities. The designation will display in the BHW Customer Service Program Portal. We will also add it to your profile on HRSA's Health Workforce Connector.
How do I assist my clinicians in applying to the STAR LRP?
Once your site becomes STAR LRP-approved, you will need to complete an employment verification form for your clinicians applying to the STAR LRP for a loan repayment award.
Review our employment verification FAQs to assist you with this important step in their application process.
How to contact us
Submit your questions or contact us by submitting an inquiry in the BHW Customer Service Program Portal.