Find your county's 3-year overdose mortality rate
Use our STAR LRP County Overdose Mortality Rate spreadsheet (XLSX - 193 KB)* to find out if your facility is in a county that meets the program's criteria (>21.6 deaths per 100,000).
Note: The STAR LRP uses the three-year average from the 2017-2019 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) County Overdose Mortality Rate data to determine the rate for facility eligibility. The public-facing CDC data is a 5-year average.
*If you use assistive technology, you may not be able to access information in this file. For help, contact us at 800-221-9393.
Eligible substance use disorder (SUD) treatment facilities can apply to become Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery Loan Repayment Program (STAR LRP) approved.
What are the eligibility requirements for STAR LRP-approved facilities?
Your facility is eligible to become STAR LRP-approved if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Are located in a county with a three-year drug overdose death rate greater than the national average*; or
- Have a mental health HPSA (MHPSA) designation.
*We calculate this information based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data.
What are the benefits of becoming STAR LRP-approved?
- As a STAR LRP-approved facility, you can offer a loan repayment program opportunity as a recruitment and retention incentive to new and current clinical staff.
- STAR LRP is open to a broader range of SUD treatment and recovery clinicians and paraprofessionals than other HRSA loan repayment programs.
What are the eligible facility types?
Review the STAR LRP-approved site and facility type definitions (PDF - 176 KB) for information on eligible facilities.
How do I complete my application to become a STAR LRP-approved facility?
Complete these steps to request STAR LRP approval for your facility:
- Create an account or log into the BHW Customer Service Portal.
- See page 7 of the BHW Program Portal Site Point of Contact (POC) User Guide (PDF - 7 MB) for instructions.
- Create a Site Profile for your treatment facility.
- See pages 21-25 of the BHW Program Portal Site POC User Guide for instructions.
- Use this process to submit an inquiry that identifies your facility type and the SUD services your site provides:
- Find the “Ask A Question” box at the bottom of the site’s dashboard/main page.
- Select the “Ask a question about NHSC or STAR” link.
- Category: “STAR LRP Site Type and Services”
- Description: “STAR LRP Site Type and Services”
- Provide the below information in the comment box:
- Your site type (e.g. community health center), based on the facility types.
- The SUD service type, of the three listed below, that best defines your program:
- Opioid Treatment Program (OTP)
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
- General Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- Note: You do not need to upload any documents.
- Click on the “Send” button.
How will I find out if you approved my site?
We will review and respond to your request. You will receive an alert in your portal account indicating when you have a new message from us.
Are there automatically approved facilities?
We automatically approve you as a STAR LRP-approved facility if you are a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) site that:
- Has a mental health HPSA (MHPSA) designation; or
- Is in a county with a three-year drug overdose death rate greater than the national average (as calculated by HRSA); and
- Has at least one SUD service (General SUD, MAT or OTP) checked off in your BHW Customer Service Program Portal site profile.
NHSC Site POCs will receive an email alert that they are STAR LRP-approved facilities. The designation will display in the Customer Service Program Portal. We will also add it to your profile on HRSA's Health Workforce Connector.