The Health Resources and Service Administration (HRSA) supports a nursing workforce that meets the needs of the nation, especially its underserved and rural communities.
This support includes:
- Financial assistance to individuals to help pay for nursing school or repay nursing student debt.
- Grants and other investments in institutions that are training the next generation of nurses.
Together, HRSA nursing programs advance health equity by ensuring that all communities have access to high-quality and culturally competent medical care.
National Nurses Month 2022: Nurses Make a Difference
To the nurses and nursing students of America: We at the Health Resources and Service Administration (HRSA) applaud your dedication, hard work, and empathy. You make a difference by ensuring individuals, families, and communities receive quality patient care and services.
We are here to support you during National Nurses Month—and all year long. We provide nurses and nursing students with loan repayment and scholarship programs that relieve the burden of educational debt. In return, you commit to serve in rural and medically underserved U.S. communities, where your skills are needed the most.
In addition to our scholarship and loan repayment programs supporting individual nurses, HRSA offers grants and other financial support to schools of nursing and other institutions. These investments help promote health equity, expand and diversify the nursing workforce of the future, and provide training opportunities in communities most in need of dedicated, well-trained providers.
Apply for Loan Repayment
Have you graduated from nursing school? We can help repay school loan debt.
- Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program: For registered nurses, nurse faculty and advanced practice registered nurses working at a Critical Shortage Facility or eligible school of nursing.
- National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Programs: For nurses and other health professionals, the Loan Repayment Programs include four programs with different requirements.
- Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery Loan Repayment Program: For nurses and others who do direct patient care in an eligible discipline and provide full-time care at an approved treatment facility.
- Faculty Loan Repayment Program: For faculty members who serve at eligible health professions schools.
Apply for a Scholarship
Considering nursing school or currently enrolled as a nursing student?
We offer scholarships to help you pay for your health professions education, including tuition, fees, and other educational costs.
- Nurse Corps Scholarship Program: For eligible nursing students.
- Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program: A program designed for Native Hawaiians who are pursuing careers in primary and behavioral health disciplines.
- National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program: For students pursuing primary care health professions training.
Opportunities for Clinics, Hospitals, and Other Health Care Organizations
We also provide grants and other funding to organizations for programs directly aimed at supporting nurses and nursing programs. These programs are for organizations, not individuals.
- Apply for a Nursing Grant
- Advanced Nursing Education Workforce
- Advanced Nursing Education
- Nurse Anesthetist Traineeship
- Nurse Education, Practice, Quality and Retention
- Nurse Faculty Loan Program
COVID-19 Impact on Nursing Program Participants
We understand the COVID-19 outbreak has a direct impact on participants in our nursing programs. We support you and want you and your family to stay healthy and safe.
To learn more about how we support our nurses, visit COVID-19 Impact on Nurse Corps.
How to Contact Us
Call: 1-800-221-9393 | TTY: 1-877-897-9910
M - F | 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST (except federal holidays)